What we do
Slough Refugee Support (SRS) extends a welcome and practical help to refugees and asylum seekers both in Slough and across the Thames Valley.
Refugees are people who are seeking to rebuild their lives in a new country after fleeing from violence and fear. They often need simple help with basic things to help them obtain their rights and to care for themselves and their families in a new country. Because their needs vary, SRS works with them as individuals and families.
Practical advice and help given by SRS includes:
- OISC advice and support up to Level 2/3
- Legal Support by a Solicitor
- Asylum Support (NASS)
- Accessing initial Benefits
- How to access Health and Education Services
- Family Support Work
- Job search for those eligible to work
- English Language Classes
- Sewing Classes, with creche support
- DBS Checks (Available for wider community)
Additionally, our Family Support Worker helps families access medical, educational and social support and she works closely with women to help them settle into their new communities. She organises Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Awareness sessions.